Sunday, June 14, 2009

Stuff from the week

I had some things I wanted to blog about, but can't remember them all now that I am actually blogging! This was a really busy week. CUP started his job at Walgreens this week and so far he likes it. I really have not seen him much because he is closed up in his room all day and I'm terrified to call him or go in there, in case he is sleeping. He tweeted that he had only slept for 6 or 7 hours the other day, but I only saw him for about 15 minutes, so obviously he was awake, but not coming downstairs. I'm going to have to try to figure out his patterns because I need his help around here!

Alex, Shauna and I did a thrift store run on Wednesday to get a graduation outfit for Alex. He picked his clothes out himself and did a great job. He got a pair of Izod dress pants in like-new condition for $4.99 and a green dress shirt for $2.50. Since he doesn't wear dress clothes that often, it didn't make sense to spend a fortune for new things. I did have to stay up until 2 am, hemming the pants, but that was because I was driving him to his performance, going home and making dinner, picking him up from his performance and then I was on the phone.

I found out on Wednesday that my friend, Debbie's, dog had died. Debbie is my friend from Chicago, we lived next door to each other and are still very close friends, even though we don't see each other every day any more! Debbie got 4 dogs after we moved, when she got the first, she joked that the dog was my replacement. One of the dogs died, unexpectedly, and I knew she would be devastated. I called and Debbie wasn't home, but I had a nice long talk with her daughter, Jenna. Jenna is 17, like Luke and Debbie and I have arranged a marriage between the two of them. They have known each other since they were both two months old, so we feel they should end up together. Since moms are always right, an arranged marriage seems like a perfect plan! Debbie called back later in the evening and we talked for a long time. It was nice to talk to her, but I wish it hadn't been because Bootsie died.

Oh, back to Alex's graduation. It was supposed to be on Friday, June 12th. On Wednesday, Alex came home from school and asked when we were going shopping for his clothes. I told him we would go Thursday, after he got home from school. He told me the graduation was the next day, not Friday. I argued with him and went to the school website to prove him wrong. There was no mention of the graduation on the school website. How dumb is that? Anyway, I then checked my email and sure enough, I found the emails telling me it was the 12th and also another email, saying the date was changed. I hadn't paid any attention to the other email because it was about the 8th grade dance, which he couldn't attend because he had a performance that night. You would think they would have sent an email with the subject line of graduation date changed or something! Thanks goodness he didn't already have dress clothes or I would have missed the graduation. As it is, Mike and my mom both missed it (well my mom got there a few minutes before it ended) because they both had to work and couldn't get off at the last minute.

Renee and I went out for lunch on Tuesday. Her favorite restaurant was closing and she wanted me to try it before it did. It was really good! I had a delicious roast beef sandwich and an equally delicious mocha iced coffee. It also has a Native American gift shop attached, so I bought a medicine wheel for Alex for his graduation. It was in Sioux colors, which I didn't know when I picked it out, but the store owner told me as I check out. I was excited about that because Alex is Sioux and I don't often find Sioux items in Virginia. It was also actually made by a Native American, which makes it even cooler! Alex was slow to warm up to the gift, as I made the mistake of giving it to him at school and he was embarrassed (doesn't take much to embarrass a 14 year old, I do it every day, just by existing!). Once we got home, he seemed to enjoy it quite a bit more.

The air conditioning upstairs is still broken. I called the A/C guy and he was originally going to come on Thursday, but then I realized Alex's graduation was that day, so I changed it to Friday. I talked to him on Friday and he said he was stuck at Hershey's ice cream (the plant, I guess) in Richmond and it was taking way longer than he thought it would. He said he would try to come before the end of the night, but he never made it, so he will be by at 8:30 on Monday morning. Please keep your fingers crossed for an inexpensive fix! He is also going to check both of my broken furnaces.

I'm off to finish braiding Shauna's hair for her 5th grade graduation on Monday. So far it is coming out very well. This is my first time braiding with extensions, so I didn't have very high hopes. I usually take her to have her hair braided, but the girl who does it wouldn't do it the way she wanted for some reason. Shauna has been trying to get it done this way for about a year and a half now and the girl kept making excuses for not being able to do it this way. It is weird because I think this way is easier and less time consuming than the way she was doing it. Luke is my helper, as he is burning the ends for me, which I can't seem to do with only two hands. I must be missing the trick on this because I should be able to do it by myself. I think I might need to get some tips from my friend, Jen, on this one because I know she is good at it! I keep wishing I had one of her girls here to help me with the braiding. They are all really good at it.

No comments: