Monday, March 30, 2009

I went to a play...NOT!

Yesterday, my mom and I had made plans to go to a play at Luke's high school. We were both looking forward to it. Alex had gone with a friend to see it on Friday and said it was really good. Well, we decided to go to the 2:00 show on Sunday. I got up later than I wanted to and I had to rush around to get ready in time because I had been up really late on Saturday night, talking to my sister on the phone. Her daughter had gotten hurt and she called for advice on whether or not she needed to take her to the ER. We ended up talking for about an hour and a half and I didn't get to sleep until around 2 am. Then I was serving strawberry shortcake for dessert so I had to get the shortcake made before I left. I ended up getting out of the house right on time and we headed over to the high school, only to see a sign advertising the play. The sign said, Thursday and Friday at 7:30, Saturday at 2:00 and 7:30. Well, we were only 24 hours late! We were disappointed and I was mad at myself because I'm the one who looked on the internet and didn't pay attention to the dates. Most plays are Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so I just assumed that was the case. We ended up going over to my sister's house to show her and her husband the California pictures. My sister lived in Hollywood for about 4 years, so she was anxious to see them.

Last week I had made plans to have lunch with two of Mike's sisters today. One lives in Richmond and the other is visiting from Chicago. I forgot all about it! I was getting in the shower and my cell phone rang and my sister-in-law says, "We're here, when will you be ready?". I pretended that I hadn't forgotten and told her I needed an hour. They were here shopping, anyway, so they didn't mind waiting. As it turned out, even though I took an hour and 15 minutes (more on that in a minute), they only got there 3 minutes before I did. We had a really nice lunch. I had a yummy pulled pork sandwich for lunch (Boom, Jack!). The food was good and I hadn't seen Margaret in almost two years, so it was nice to get together. Roni and I made plans to have her two kids come and stay over for a night or two during spring break next week.

The reason I was late for lunch wasn't because I had forgotten. I had plenty of time to be there in an hour, but when I came out of the shower, I found out that Hannah was just waking up and had not gone to school. Good thing she came downstairs. She has never done this before. I let her have a friend sleep over on Saturday and they were up very late. She was tired yesterday and even took a short nap, which is not like her at all. She is so used to getting to bed at the same time every night and her body has a hard time adjusting when she gets off track. This morning, she had a stomach ache (common for her) and just couldn't get up. She doesn't stay home from school very often, usually missing only 1 or 2 days all year. Even when she has a stomach ache, she always tell me and still goes to school. This time she said she just couldn't drag herself out of bed. She was feeling better after sleeping late, although her stomach was still bothering her a bit, so I told her to get ready really fast and I would drop her at school on my way.

We went out to the car and I realized it was totally out of gas and had already been driven far too long on empty to make it to school and then to the restaurant. So, I stopped for a little gas and then took Hannah to school. I had to go in and sign her in, so that took some extra time, too. By this time, I was wondering why Mike's sisters hadn't called to see where the heck I was! Luckily, they didn't have to wait long, so it worked out.

1 comment:

Essie the Accidental Mommy said...

Sounds like something I would do, have done, did.... missing an event by precisely 24 hours. Sigh. Oh well!