Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Freedom of choice?

This morning Shauna decided to wear a pair of pink pants, covered with hearts, all in different shades of pink. For her top, she chose a red and white stripe. When I saw her I told her she needed to change because her outfit didn't match. She immediately started yelling at me, asking why does she have to match, I like these clothes, etc. I tried to explain that you shouldn't wear a striped shirt with heavily patterned pants, but she didn't really want to hear it. She stomped out, slamming the door behind her, still making angry comments. She came back a few minutes later with the same shirt and a pair of solid colored light pink pants. I still wasn't thrilled with her choices, but I figured that was better than her first choice.

I want her to be independent and make her own choices, but she is in fifth grade and I think kids might make fun of her for odd fashion choices. It seems that fifth grade is the year that most of the girls start to become really aware of fashion. Apparently, Shauna isn't in that phase yet!

1 comment:

Denise said...

You know, Nick says on a regular basis that GracieGirl reminds him so much of Shauna. I have no doubt in my mind that we're going to have similar situations with her when she gets older because she already dresses like that and refuses to change her clothes.

But, as I've said before, I'll be in the nursing home by then, so Nick will have to deal with it!

Big help, aren't I??