Sunday, August 24, 2008

Cul-de-sac party

We are having a cul-de-sac party today. It is something some of us have talked about doing since we moved in 8 years ago. I think we decided not to because we had some jerky people in our cul-de-sac at first, but they all moved out and really nice people moved in, so now is a really good time. The newest arrival, Kim, who has lived here about a year and a half now, organized it. I hope I am able to go. I'm a little worried because it is still really painful to sit and I can't stand for more than a few minutes because I am so shaky and weak.

I also have to prepare dishes to share, but the kids and Mike will help with that. Steven is going to make a corn salad, a recipe I found on some one's blog (can't remember which blog). I'm also going to make my broccoli casserole that my kids love. The girls and Alex are going to make a pan of brownies and Steven just told me that he is going to make a chocolate snack cake that his friend's mom makes. I'm so glad he is working at a restaurant and is now interested in cooking.

Typical conversation with Steven before the restaurant job:

Steven: "Mom, can I have some soup/tuna/spaghetti o's, etc."
Mom: "Sure."
Steven: "Will you make it for me?"
Mom: "No, you can make it yourself."
Steven: "Never mind, if I have to open a can, I just won't eat."

Conversation with Steven after taking the restaurant job:

Steven: "If you give me the recipe, I will make the whole thing." (I had asked him last night to just slice the tomatoes and cucumbers that I need for the corn salad, not actually make it)
Mom: "Oh, thanks, that would be great."
Steven: "I'm also going to make the chocolate snack cake that Jeff's mom makes, if Dad bought all the ingredients."
Mom: No reply, she is too shocked to talk!

No comments: