Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Homemade Ice Cream, what was I thinking????

My leg felt so much better after physical therapy today. Since I hadn't had to take a pain pill since 1:30 this afternoon and I could walk around, almost pain free, I decided to make some homemade ice cream with the kids. We got an electric ice cream maker from freecyle at the same time that my leg got really bad, so I haven't been able to try it out yet. Anyway, this was a very bad idea! By the time I had mixed the ice cream ingredients together, my leg was killing me. I managed to get it all into the ice cream maker and turn it on before I had to crash on the bed.

I took a pain pill right away so, hopefully, I will feel well enough in a little while to get the ice cream out when it is done churning. This is my first ever attempt at homemade ice cream and I don't have an instruction booklet, so I hope it works. I was going to make some homemade fudge sauce to go with the vanilla ice cream, but I guess I will have to see how well this pain pill works, before I attempt that!

3 of the older boys are off to hockey, one is working overtime and the 3 little ones are making brownies. Sorry, Mikey, I'm sure they will all be gone before you get home this weekend!

Vanilla Ice Cream

Makes 3 quarts

6 large eggs (I use eggbeaters)
2 1/4 cups sugar
6 cups heavy cream
3 cups milk (I use skim)
6 tsp vanilla extract

Whisk eggs until light and fluffy.

Whisk in sugar, a little at a time.

Add cream, milk and vanilla and mix very well.

Make according to your ice cream maker.




No comments: