Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Shauna's Veteran's Day Program

The whole fifth grade had a musical performance in honor of the country's veterans and active military personnel. It was so nice. The kids all dressed in red, white and blue and all the songs were about America. Shauna looked so cute! I braided her hair in two french braids and she has on a red and white striped shirt and red pants. I love her in red and white, it looks so pretty with her skin color.

I have to say that those kids have the best voices of any fifth grade class I've ever heard! The also sang the theme song for each branch of the military, Navy, Army, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. The music teacher asked that the soldiers, or a family member of those who are on duty and couldn't be there, stand during the song for their branch of the military. Everyone clapped for the soldiers and it was really moving.

I know that the whole country has really been rallying around the military since the terrorist attacks, but it seems even more prevalent in our area, since this is a military hub. When I lived in Illinois, it was rare to even know anyone in the military, here we know tons of them. Steven's best friend, Mike, has been in Iraq for the past year and is coming home in a week.

I took a few pictures, but they came out pretty dark. I will ask CUP to put them on the computer for me and I'll see if any are good enough to post.

No comments: