Saturday, November 1, 2008

Anniversary-28 years

Mike and I met 28 years ago today, or yesterday, depending on which way you look at it! We actually met a few minutes after midnight on Halloween night. We had our first official date on November 1st, starting at 10:00 pm. I had no idea what he looked like because he had white and black make-up covering his entire face the night before. It's a good thing there weren't a whole lot of guys coming to my door at 10:00 pm or I might have gone out with the wrong one!

Here is the whole story. I had a friend named Jill, Mike had a friend named Pete. Pete and Jill were dating. They wanted to fix Mike and me up. About two or three weeks before Halloween, they set up a date for the four of us to go out. Mike and Pete had an argument about the driving arrangements. Mike wanted to take his own car and Pete wanted us to drive with them in his car. Mike thought it would be harder for him to talk to me if Pete and Jill were in the car. Pete was afraid I would be afraid to go with Mike alone since I didn't know him and I might be worried that he would be a rapist or something. Since Pete and Mike were mad at each other, we decided not to go at all. Jill and I ended up going bowling together and we found out later that Pete and Mike went out together, too! Since I wasn't too keen on being fixed up in the first place, I told Jill that I didn' t want her to set another date up.

Fast forward to Halloween. Jill and Pete had invited me to go to a party with them. I didn't really want to go. I didn't like parties and I didn't like being the third wheel on a date. They insisted and since Jill was a ton of fun, I decided to let them talk me into it. Jill and I dressed up. I can't remember what she was, but I was a fairy godmother. I wore one of my mom's old long white dresses and made a magic wand. I remember that the dress was very low-cut and since my boobs were a lot bigger than my mom's, it was kind of risqué for 1980. By today's standards, it would probably be considered a turtleneck!! When Pete and Jill picked me up for the party, they told me that they had decided not to go and we were just going to go to the store that Jill and I worked at and then drive around. We went to a few notably haunted places in our area, Resurrection Cemetery, Bachelor's Grove Cemetery and some woods along Archer Road, where you are supposed to be able to see ghostly lights. We, saw nothing even remotely paranormal!

So, around 11:45 pm or so, Pete starts to head back into Chicago. I start to get suspicious, as I remember that Mike works second shift at Illinois Bell and gets off work about this time. Sure enough, they tell me that they are going over to pick Mike up. I argue, but am pretty much trapped in the backseat of Pete's Z-28! We pulled up in front of Mike's house and he hops in. He had his face all white, with a black star around the eye (sort of like one of the Kiss guys, but he wasn't dress up as anyone from Kiss). He had on a white t-shirt under a blazer and the t-shirt had a bunch of song lyrics written on it. I remember that we talked a little and I remember that I felt really self-conscious about my low neck line. I don't remember how long we were out, but I remember that when Pete pulled into my driveway, I said "nice to meet you" to Mike and he asked Pete to let him out (it was a two-door car). Mike walked me to the door and asked me if I would like to go out the next night. I said yes and he gave me a quick kiss on the lips. Now he disputes that fact, to this day. He doesn't remember kissing me, but I remember it because I was hoping Pete and Jill didn't see because I knew that Jill would tease me and I was wondering if any of his white make-up had rubbed off on my face!

The next night, I worked until 9:00 pm and then drove home like a maniac to get ready for the date. My mom and step-dad were out of town and my sister was staying at my dad's house, so I didn't have to worry about anyone bugging me, which was great! I was ready by 9:30 and then sat, very nervously, on the stairs, waiting for Mike to arrive. I found out later that he arrived around 9:30, but pulled over at the end of my block and waited so he wouldn't be too early! He finally came to the door and looked good, so we left! I know we met Pete and Jill at the bowling alley and had a good time, but I don't remember many details about that. After that, we spent every weekend together and some weeknights, after Mike got off work. The rest is history.....


Anonymous said...

beautiful story - happy anniversary!!

Denise said...

You guys have been together FOREVER!!!

How long after that first date did you get married?

Mom of 7 said...

One year and and ten months later.

creative gal said...

Thanks for sharing!!