Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving






Thanksgiving was very nice this year. We were disappointed that we couldn't afford to go to Chicago, since this was supposed to be our year to go, as we try to go every other Thanksgiving. The weather was beautiful, it's been in the 50's and 60's for the last week or so.


We went to my sister's house, but my mom and I did all the cooking, since my sister doesn't cook. She did make two pumpkin pies, though. A former neighbor of my mom's also came with her family. Things went well, with no major drama, which is really unusual for our family!!!! My mom wasn't even cranky, like she almost always is on holidays. The only rough patch was when my sister insisted on waiting to have dessert until my niece got home from work. The neighbor family was obviously ready to leave, as their 3 year old was getting antsy and the kids were all very anxious for dessert. Well, we ended up waiting about an hour and then my niece got home, ate her dinner plate in the corner of the kitchen and then headed to her room to talk on the phone and use the computer. I'm still trying to figure out why we had to inconvenience everyone else to wait for that! She barely said two words to anyone and disappeared. Oh well, I guess I should be very thankful that that was the only annoying thing that happened.


We brought the Wii, which kept the younger kids occupied and happy, but my older ones were pretty bored.


The kids were all disappointed that my mom didn't give them their usual Christmas ornament. She started a tradition when Jack and Drew were babies, of giving each of the kids an ornament with the year and their name on it. I guess she just decided that she didn't want to bother anymore or that the expense wasn't worth it. The kids didn't want to be rude so they acted like it didn't matter too much, but they all expressed their disappointment when we got home. Even Drew was disappointed!


Our dinner was delicious! Here is the menu, so I won't forget next year. I didn't forget the candied carrots that I usually make and Steven was upset about that.


Turkey (1 18 pound Butterball turkey and one turkey breast-there weren't enough leftovers for us to take any home, so that was disappointing)

Sweet potatoes with cinnamon and sugar

Broccoli Casserole (note for next year, made two 9 x 13 disposable pans, used 6-2 pound bags broccoli cuts (1 1/2 bags per layer), precooked in microwave, one large Velveeta slices per pan and did not use butter on the bottom layer of crackers)

Strawberry Jello with cream cheese layer and pretzel crust

Cranberry Jello ring

Make Ahead mashed potatoes

Cranberry sauce
Corn

French bread

Gravy

Stuffing


Dessert:


Pumpkin pies

Frozen French Silk pie

Lemon Squares

Cream cheese brownies

Apple-Pecan Pie (no one ate any!)

Whipped Cream

No comments: