Monday, October 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Matthew

Today is my little brother's birthday. He was born and died on October 20, 1968, so he would be turning 40 today. It is weird, but I still think of him as a newborn baby. Weirder still is that I actually have a few memories left from that day. I remember being at our friend's house. They lived across the street from us (Ralph, the dad, was the one that visited here in September). We were eating, dinner, I think, when Sharon got the call from my dad at the hospital. I was listening eagerly because I was so excited, but I remember knowing that something was wrong. When I think back to what Sharon must have been told (that my brother had died and my mom (her best friend) was going to die), I am surprised that she was able to remain calm and show no emotion. I guess she was doing it so I wouldn't be too upset. I remember that she hung up and told me that my brother had died, but not that my mom was expected to die, as well. My dad told me that either later that night or the next night, I'm not sure which. Luckily, my mom pulled through. She was actually the first person to survive the problems that she had and the doctor who saved her was written up in all kinds of medical journals at the time. Had my brother been born even just 15 years later, he would have lived, due to advances in medical knowledge.

Happy birthday Matthew Marlin Leimnetzer!

1 comment:

Denise said...

I completely forgot that you had a brother who died, too. (Senility.) I can't believe that you remember it.

Isn't it weird to think that he could have been saved with modern technology? I was just thinking about that with my brother when his birthday passed, wondering if things would be different if he was born with the same problems now.