Monday, October 6, 2008

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all

Since the cook top caught fire and is now unusable, I had to make dinner in the microwave today. I wanted to make as much as I could at one time, since I was going to have to microwave quite a bit. I used my largest glass bowl. Not a good idea. I have had this bowl for many, many years and have used it in the microwave many, many times.

I heated it, then took it out to stir, add the cold liquids and heat some more. I poured the milk into the bowl and heard a very loud cracking sound as the glass began to shatter. The liquid and pasta poured out on the counter and floor as large chunks broke off the bowl. I started to grab things on the counter so they wouldn't get drenched as the liquid pooled across the counter and I heard another huge cracking sound as even more began to crack and break off. So much for my time-saving idea, I now have one less large bowl and I caused myself to have an additional half hour of work!

Jack pointed out that the large glass bowl wasn't Pyrex and shouldn't have been used in the microwave. Good point. Thanks for letting me know!

The good news is, no glass got on the floor and it didn't cut me. Luke came down and heard what had happened. He came into the kitchen, gave me a huge hug and sympathetically said, "Oh, Mom, I'm so happy that happened to you." He was just joking of course. I can always count on Luke to lighten the mood!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness! My hubby asked me to hand him something to marinate in, so I handed him a glass dish (serving dish). He marinated in it, all right, but then he stuck it in the oven. Needless to say, our honey/lemon chicken with gravy had no gravy left - it was all over the floor of the oven! Can I just say - whoever invented self-cleaning ovens is the smartest person to ever walk the earth!

Denise said...

I think someone's trying to tell you to just STOP COOKING!!!

Mom of 7 said...

I so agree! Now if the Restaurant Fairy will kindly drop off some gift certificates, I will be all set!