Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Last night of work


I've spent more hours than I could possibly count, sitting in this score booth!


Well, last night was a little less traumatic than I thought it would be. I only cried twice, which was a LOT less than I thought I would. I did fine most of the night because I was working really hard to convince myself that it was just a regular work night and not the last work night ever. That worked pretty well until my friend of many years, Stephanie, was leaving. Her son, Nathan, is Luke's age and he starting playing hockey in our league about a year after we did. Stephanie is also the friend who "made" me get Wrigley and she has two of his brothers, so it isn't like we will never see each other again. In fact, we will be seeing her this Saturday at a Halloween event for the kids that she works at. Anyway, her son had two games, but she was tired, so she decided to leave after his first game and have someone drop him off at home after his second game. When it was time for her to leave, she started talking about how sad this was and how we had been together for so many hockey games and so many years, etc. That made me cry. I was really proud of myself, though, as I only cried for about 30 seconds and was able to compose myself, which is unusual for me! Then Stephanie had a change of heart when she got home and came back for Nathan's second game. She said that she just couldn't miss the last game ever played at our rink. I teased her for making me cry for no reason, since she would probably do it again when she left the second time, but I was really glad she came back!


Me and Stephanie

Then my friend, Christian, who is one of the hockey players that has played with us since he was about 15, also made me cry when he was leaving. He assures me that he will still be around to bug me, at least until May, when he will be leaving for graduate school. I'm really going to miss him, he has always stood up for me when I had any problems at the rink, including always letting me know that if anyone gave me a hard time, he would beat them up for me! He has also been extremely supportive whenever I had a difference of opinion with the rink owners or when I was frustrated about their lack of dedication to the hockey program as a whole.


My friend, Mike, and me with the Colonial Cup


The last ever Championship Team at the Williamsburg Indoor Sports Complex!
Steven is in the yellow and black jersey, just behind the goalie. Congrats to Team Revamp.

No comments: