Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cream Cheese Pastry Results

I blogged about using margarine this year instead of butter in my cookie baking. I tried making a batch of Grammy's pastries with margarine, even though the recipe warns "do not substitute margarine for the butter". I'm not often a rule breaker, but in the name of being frugal, I'm willing to step over the line, as long as it's legal!

Well, here is what happened. The margarine pastry was way easier to roll out and form into cookies, way easier. The cookies looked the same, smelled the same, but didn't taste the same. They were really lacking in flavor. CUP came downstairs and I offered him some, not mentioning the experiment I was doing. He ate a couple and said, "Did you do something different with these, they don't taste as good at all." I guess I have my answer, I'm going to have to splurge on butter!

4 comments:

Meg an Aggie in Frisco said...

All fall I watch for butter to go on sale and I buy it up and freez it for my baking at Christmas. I have too tried what you did... not so good.

Happy Baking...

Denise said...

I was going to say the same thing about butter on sale. The stores around here usually have a few good sales before Thanksgiving, and we stock up (and you know Nick, so you know what that means!) and freeze it.

Anonymous said...

Dangit. I was hoping you'd say it worked just as well so I could skimp, too. *sigh* (LOL)

Mom of 7 said...

I have been looking for sales and I either missed them or the stores around here are conspiring against me!

So far, I've tasted the dough from the other cookies that I made from margarine and it all tastes fine. I think it might just be the cream cheese pastries only that will be a problem. When I was a kid, my mom only used margarine (except for the cream cheese pastry), so they will probably taste fine to me.