Monday, December 8, 2008

Funny memories

CUP didn't believe that I hadn't even heard of pot when I was 9 years old. That is a true story. I also didn't have any clue that sex existed until I was in 6th grade. When I found out, I was absolutely HORRIFIED! I spent the next 2 years or so trying to get over the shock! After finding out, I remember looking at pregnant woman with the thought, "Oh my God, they must have "done that sick, disgusting thing" at least once!" LOL! I also never heard the "F" word (at least not that I remembered, more on that later) until I was in 7th grade and the boy with the locker next to me (a really nasty kid, who was mean to me and would slam his door open on my fingers!) said it all the time. I guess I was sheltered, but I really my kids had been able to have as innocent a childhood as I did!

As for the "F" word, my first memory of hearing it was in 7th grade. My mom says I actually said it when I was little! Now my parents never said that word. The only swearing I remember from them was an occasional damn (with a God in front, if they were really angry) or shit on a shingle (my mom's phrase). There was a family who lived two doors down from us, they were sort of the redneck type, but very nice. The mom, who had a son my age, used to call my mom and ask her to send me down because she really liked having me around and thought I was so cute. She eventually had a daughter and named her Michelle! Anyway, apparently, they used the "F" word quite frequently in their house. My mom said that one day, when I was 2, I came home from there and opened our kitchen door, which pointed directly to our next door neighbor's house and started yelling "F" YOU! out the door, at the older lady who lived there and was out in the yard! My proper Bostonian mother was mortified to say the least! I'm assuming she put soap in my mouth and I never said it again.

Same for the "N" word. I said it one time and one time only. I was 5 and my sister was 1. She had a wooden giraffe ride on toy that you could also push. I remember that we were in the hall of our house and I wanted to push it and I guess she didn't want me to. I got mad and called her the "N" word. All I remember is that right after saying it, I felt myself being lifted to my feet from behind (I was kneeling) by my ponytail and rushed to the bathroom, where my mouth was promptly washed out with soap. My mother said, "Don't you EVER say that word again". I had no idea what the word meant, but you can rest assured I never said it again! I've since told my mom that story, she doesn't remember, but is sure that I must have learned that word at the same neighbor's house because we didn't hang around with anyone else who talked like that.

1 comment:

Denise said...

I had no clue about any of that stuff at that age, either. The only difference between you and me is that I made up for lost time when I turned 17! :P