Friday, January 2, 2009

Drew's surgery

Well, Mike and I are at the hospital and Drew just got out of surgery. It went well. The doctor said he used a brand new kind of plate for the first time and he really liked it. They may have to keep him overnight, depending on his pain level. Since Drew doesn't feel much pain, I don't think that will be a problem, but we will see. We can't see him until he is out of recovery, but the doctor said he was awake and talking in the operating room and said something to the effect of "I'm still dreaming". The surgery itself took about an hour and twenty minutes, but he was in the OR for almost 3 hours altogether.

When we got here this morning, they showed us the x-ray and explained more about the injury. I'm glad I didn't get all that information before, since it was a much more significant injury than I thought! Apparently, he got very lucky, since the bone actually split completely in two and the two pieces are lying parallel to each other. The top broken part, which was quite jagged, came very close to major nerves and the arteries. The bottom broken part is resting just next to his lung and the space around it. They mentioned that it was good that the bone hadn't punctured anything. If I had just looked at that x-ray on my own, I would have thought that it was two separate bones, they were so far apart.

Now that the most worrisome part is over, I am feeling really tired and longing to get home and take a nap.

No comments: