Thursday, January 1, 2009

Oh crap

I have been really nervous about Drew's surgery and I couldn't figure out why. My kids have had surgeries before and I was always nervous, but not this nervous. My mom, who went with Drew to his doctor appointment, since we were on our way home from PA, called a few minutes ago. She told me that the doctor said this surgery is rather high risk because there is a main artery that goes to the heart, located right where they have to do the surgery. They have to be very careful not to nick it at all. Apparently the longer the time that has elapsed since the injury, the higher risk the surgery is. For Drew it will be one week tomorrow since the accident. Now I'm really nervous. The surgeon is very good and highly respected so that is good, but I still don't like the risk factors. I guess I'm glad I didn't know this until tonight.

No comments: