Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The trip here

The trip here was good, but LONG. I was so exhausted and in pain last night that I didn't even have the energy to blog. I had to have Mike go back and edit for me because I published two posts (one accidentally) where I typed in Last Vegas and I didn't even notice it! Good thing Mike was with it. I had to do a TON of walking in the airports, carrying a heavy carry on suitcase, with no wheels, plus my heavy purse. Normally that wouldn't be much of a problem, but since the torn hamstring has still been hurting every day, I haven't walked much lately, so it was very hard on my poor muscles, although good for them in the long run, I'm sure. By the time I got here, both my hamstrings were killing me, as well as a bunch of other muscles.

Since I was tired, in pain, and really hungry, I was pretty cranky. I was really overwhelmed by everything, also, just being away from the kids, traveling all day, seeing Las Vegas for the first time, etc. I felt like crying, even though I was really happy and excited to be here. I felt sorry for Mike because he was looking forward to me arriving and then I think he probably wanted to send me back once I got here! Although, I have to give him credit for being patient and not getting cranky back at me. I felt a little better after we had some delicious burgers for dinner, but not much. I didn't get to bed until 2:30 am (my time) and then I woke up every few minutes all night. I'm only up now because I wanted to blog before Mike and his computer go off to work.

I started working on a baby afghan that I'm crocheting for one of Mike's co-workers on the flight from Chicago to LV. What a disaster! I've been crocheting since I was 9 and I can pretty much follow any pattern because I've done a lot of it and I'm really good at it. I picked an afghan that seemed to be what I would consider a middle of the road pattern, not too easy, not too hard. Wrong! I had so much trouble with this pattern, ugh. I was on the plane for about 4 hours and I still only have one row done and I'm pretty sure I have to re-do that one because something is wrong. This pattern is really poorly written and hard to follow, but I'm insisting on getting it right. I must have torn out the first and second rows at least 10 times each and I still can't get it to work. I'm going to spend some more time on it today and I hope I can get it to work. If not, I'm just going to have to switch to something different, I guess.

I will try to post again later tonight, if I have time. Mainly because if I don't blog about what happens right away, I'll forget!


Denise said...

Glad you made it there okay. I wouldn't have survived carrying luggage, either. Hope you can totally relax and be waited on all week. That's what Mike's there for, right??

I didn't know you crocheted! Or, did I know and I just forgot? It's hard to tell sometimes...

I got the Last Vega know, because I'm a subscriber. I figured you must have been really tired!

Have fun!

Lking said...

I remember my first trip to Las Vegas. It was in 1962. My first husband was mobilized for the Berlin Crisis and was stationed at Ft. Irwin in California. I left my two year old son and 4 month old daughter with grandparents and flew out to spend the last two week with my husband and drive home with him as they were getting out of the active duty status. It was very hard to leave my babies, but both sets of grandparents were with them. We had a great time.
The flying out was scary as I had never been in an airplane before and the plane I got on in Montgomery, Al. was what we called a puddle jumper. Two engine very small plane and it landed and took off 5 times between Montgomery and Dallas Texas!! Then I got on a really wide plane. The rest of the trip was uneventful except we flew almost right through a thunderstorm! Now that was scary too! But Las Vegas was a sight for this old country girl!