Sunday, January 25, 2009

Ryan called

My former foster son (still my son in my heart) called a few minutes ago. I was so happy to talk to him. He is now 20 and is one of the most wonderful kids ever!

He called me and left a couple of messages while I was at Denise and Nick's right after Christmas and I hadn't gotten a chance to call him back yet. With Drew's injury and my trip, I just haven't been able to pick a time and call. I thought about it every day, just never actually did it. In fact, I woke up today and thought about calling him but then instead spent my time making grocery and Walgreens lists, organizing my computer desk, organizing my coupons, driving kids around, and cleaning up a bit. I was just starting to make some banana bread when the phone rang and it was Ryan.

I thanked him for being patient with me and not giving up when it took me so long to call him back and he said, "I would never give up on you, I love you!" Isn't that the sweetest thing ever? I told Alex about it and he said, "Wow, he's your only kid that's nice to you."

I got to talk with Ryan's mom, Leona, also. She and her husband are such good people. As much as I wish he could still be with me, I am so glad that he is with them. They are the perfect parents for him and his older sister, Myrtle. Myrtle almost came to live with us many times, but due to the idiocy of the foster care system at the time, that never happened.

I'm off to make the banana bread so Mike and Jack don't yell at me about wasting more bananas, but I wanted to blog about this while it was fresh in my mind. I will post a baby picture of Ryan as soon as I find the albums he is in. For some reason (it couldn't be that I'm so unorganized), all my photo albums aren't together.

2 comments:

Denise said...

I'm so glad you got to talk to him.

Gotta love Alex's comment!

jennifaye said...

Ok, this is a story I have not heard.. some day... I have enjoyed the old pics- so sweet.